The centerpiece “topper” of my boho wardrobe was going to be a faux suede swingy jacket, made with Vanessa Pouzet’s Eagle jacket pattern. I especially adored the fitted shoulders and little inset but with an easy shape. I could see it paired with dresses, tunics, and tops.
My first mistake was the suede-like fabric I picked up from JoAnn’s. It doesn’t stretch, hangs stiffly and it doesn’t press, but I loved the texture! So I forged ahead. The jacket is fully lined and put together in a very interesting way, making it rather impossible to try on during construction to test the fit. And I don’t make muslins. Well…
It was quite a bit too big when I finally got it put together, and since the fabric has very little drape, it exacerbated the fit problems. It looked terrible on. So I ripped it apart and made adjustments. But then I was overzealous in my adjustments, and still didn’t like how the fabric hung. The pic in the mirror is after my alterations — the shoulder is too tight and it is pulling at my bust. It did not feel comfortable at all.
So I just made a whole new one, this time out of cream velour. Ha ha ha, velour! I found this piece thrift shopping and thought I would make something for one of my girls with the soft, stretchy fabric, because I think we all agree that velour is past its prime as a real apparel fabric. But no! This fabric turned out to be the exact fabric I should have started this journey with. I love how comfortable this is, how snug I could get the sleeves and how I can push them up, and how the back swings. It all worked out beautifully. I lined it in some nude tricot, which isn’t the cutest, sexiest lining, but it is invisible and retained the stretch of the velour.
I especially like how the sleeve embroidery stands out on the textured nap. The thread is gold to match the gold leather insets, but reads pretty subtle. I guess that the subtlety is fine, since in this outfit I do have gold on my T-shirt, boots, earrings and fingernails. Too much? Perhaps I should move to Vegas.
I refuse to believe that the universe is telling me to make muslins. Since it all worked out in the end, I choose to believe that I could not have avoided all that pain, I just had to work through it while ruining $40 worth of fabric and lining so I could get to the result that in total cost me about $7.
I love my new jacket and will take pictures of the outfits I pull together. This success motivates me to finish those other pieces I’ve planned to go with it, so stay tuned!
Most important points:
- The suede cloth at Joann’s is perhaps not the best apparel fabric, and certainly not for this pattern. But velour is where it is at! No wonder I wore velour tracksuits so much 10 years ago.
- Got to have some fun with those embroidery stitches on my Brother embroidery machine. I don’t use that machine often, so it was fun.
- A cream jacket is just the thing to pull my (to be sewn) summer wardrobe together, and the Eagle jacket shape is really fun!