Summer has arrived and I’m woefully unprepared. I’ve been obsessed with making jackets and now that I’ve made my floral moto, I want to make all the motos. But jackets take time, and at this moment at least, are not very seasonally appropriate. So I’ve decided to take a bit of a pause from that and spend a week making a bunch of the new Aurora tank from Seamwork magazine by Colette.
Why the Aurora, do you ask? Well, because I love it, obviously. Ha! Let me elaborate. First, it is knit, which makes it stretchy and comfy. The fit is snug in the bust but relaxed in the waist; my favorite. It only takes a 2 hours, so I can make a whole stable of them for the warm weather. Best of all, you can mix 2 fabrics!!!! Oh do I have some fun combinations in mind!!!!
So every day this week I will be making and showing off another Aurora tank. I’ll perfect the fit and use up some of my knit stash. It will be a very useful addition to my wardrobe, I think.
Would you like to join me? I will round up all the Auroras I make in a post, but I would love to include yours if you want to make one or two, too! It would be great to have a whole gallery of them to share the possibilities of this cute pattern. You can link to your version in the comments or email me pictures if you don’t have a blog. Be sure and include details on what fabrics you use, so we can see what works well!
My first version I sewed up a straight size small in an athletic mesh and raspberry ITY knit. Well, I added 2 inches in length of course. It is cute! I’m liking it so far.
Some notes: It is a bit snug around the bust, but this mesh is less stretchy than some other knits I will be using. The thing I don’t like is how the pulling distorts the cute gathers at the strap attachment. Will that happen in the other versions, even if the knit is stretchier? I am tempted to just add a half inch in the bust.
The neckline is very modest. Since the mesh of this version is transparent, a higher neckline is appropriate. But in future versions I’m going to drop that neckline by at least an inch and a half. I will show you that alterations when I make it.
I love the shape of the hemline! One of my favorite features.
I followed the directions closely, except for connecting the front straps. I deviated by clean finishing the strap connection and will post a tutorial on how to accomplish this. It is tricky to visualize, so I will have to take some pictures and maybe draw some diagrams. But it looks so much better and will hold up better over time, also.
So that’s the start of Aurora week! I’m heading right back into the sewing room to cut out version number 2! Meet you back here tomorrow.