The April Rhodes Staple Dress is not my most exciting make of all time, but the pattern is a great blank canvas for a fun fabric choice. In this case I used a unique lacy striped fabric I had been saving for ages. It is a sheer weave without much stretch that worked great for this shape, but does require a slip.
I made a size small, which was plenty roomy for me. I just serged the whole thing with white thread and it worked well on this lacy fabric. Then, for added interest, I added a neckband, armband and hemband cut across the stripes. Without any stretch, the bands do droop a bit, but I still like them. I think it helps add a little something.
Two disappointments: From the front, the hi-lo is barely visible. Also, the lacy fabric would not allow for pockets (they would show through). Pockets are one of my favorite features of this dress. Maybe I’ll make another in a fabulous large scale print and be able to enjoy the pockets. I don’t think any of the dresses I’ve made have had pockets. Pity party!
But check out that excellent stripe matching! I’m walking sideways into every room from now on. I’d better go practice that tricky maneuver!