I know I have already admitted on this blog my jeans habit. My sewing life is evolving to include more practical garments that will see wear throughout the year. Yes, dresses are fun to sew, fun to twirl in, and I do wear them sometimes. But since I took a closer look at my actual worn clothes I’ve noticed predominantly jeans, so, accordingly, I’ve made a several tops to go with my wardrobe staple (Matilde blouse, Lace Sleeved Shirt, Peplum blouse). That improved my Me Made wears quite a bit! Good job me! But…
These are the Jamie Jeans by Named Patterns, and I do love this pattern to bits. The sizing was tricky for me, even after my muslin, because of the different weights of denim, but the cool details are worth it. The muslin was again mainly to help me feel confident with jean-making techniques as well as fit, so I did spend quite a few hours on them. In the end, I didn’t finish the muslin, even though I had worked through my fit issues on them, because of the weight of the denim. It was much too stiff and heavy, even with stretch, to be very comfortable. Lesson learned. I recommend a lighter and stretchier denim for this pattern if you want a snug fit that remains comfortable.
On my muslin I tried out gray topstitching, which read as white on the dark black denim, and I did not care for it. On this pair I went ahead with black topstitching. Not as dramatic, but I like how it turned out, since the fabric is not nearly as dark. I did use the dark muslin denim as my front pocket contrast! And I lined that front pocket in polka dot cotton for funsies.
Surprisingly, the zipper and fly front went in smoothly and easily, with no basting. Whoa. Maybe because I had practiced so many times doing it wrong on my 2 Moss skirts? I don’t know, but the front is smooth and the zipper is functional. Win!
Fit adjustments – I made an 8, but perhaps should have just made a 6 and loosened the calves. I had read several times how tight the calves were, so I cheated my seam allowance down there, but then had to take the thighs in, take a dart in the waistband, and really should have recut the yoke smaller, but I had already sewn it together and topstitched, so I didn’t. I’m going to quickly make those adjustments on my pattern as soon as I am done writing this so I don’t forget.
But making them slightly too big and in this wonderful denim resulted in some very comfortable jeans. I did totally forget to put belt loops on it (I’ll go back and do that soon) so not wearing a belt also contributes to the comfort level!
Look at me in the photo above gazing lovingly at my new jeans. You must have many siblings, I decree! Many more jeans to join my flock!