And here is the first piece of my Me Made May Project – the houndstooth skirt. The Moss Skirt is such a great basic and a great blank canvas. I love the straight shape and with the bottom band it is long enough for me to remain comfortable. The fly front makes a casual, but, as a seamstress, you always have the option to sew it up in a unique or glamorous fabric.
My goal with all my sewing is to make things stamped with my personality, but this project is very specific in that the pieces must work together to form enough outfits to get me through an entire month. I love this large-scale houndstooth, it has texture and the pattern is distinctive yet remains neutral. But… the fabric has a very loose weave (which I didn’t notice in my rush to purchase the stuff). I think this would be considered to boucle? It was so difficult to work with. And even after all the fighting to construct my lovely skirt, the truth is, will it last very long? It may fall apart at any moment. Gah!
You can see some attention was paid to the matching of the houndstooth stripes, and yet, they are not perfectly aligned. Oh, the troubles I’ve seen… I sewed up a seam, the fabric shifted while sewing because the feed dogs grabbed the textured stuff so hard, then when I beheld the awful shifted seam I immediately got out the seam ripper. Except taking the threads out of this loose and delicate fabric was like performing brain surgery (like on Gray’s Anatomy where they have witty and/or life-changing conversations easily without a thought to the operation they are performing on someone’s head). I hacked at the brain for a while before I “closed” and opted to simply love it instead. That is also about the time when I really came to terms with the fact that the skirt may not be an heirloom piece that will stand the test of time. It might not last that long. Ah well.
An especially tricky operation was the fly front in that material. In Jen of Grainline’s fly front zipper tutorial there is quite a bit of basting and ripping, to which this fabric screamed in protest. I finally got it in there, with the added bonus of knowing that whatever I chose to put a fly front zipper in again will seem like a piece of cake compared to that.
Also, despite my muslin, the back yoke is kind of riding up. I blame my bottom (don’t women always do that? Such a cliché I am!) I’m afraid of yanking down too hard on that fabric to keep it where it should be. If I just lost 3 pounds. *Insert moans here*
Anyway, yay, the first piece of my project is complete! I’m going to store it carefully way until May and I hope it helps me make it through the month. I’m clicking over right now to sign up for the Me Made May Challenge here.
Oh yeah, the top is from Lekala pattern #4142 that I made months ago and couldn’t bear to take pictures of in our cold wet weather until now. It is inspired by some Anthropologie tops they carried last summer. Again, I love mixing different fabrics! The top yoke is a silk remnant, which I lined with the blue rayon, and the bottom is a lightweight rayon knit and is very soft. I know I will wear this top a ton during the summer, but this photo shoot was very chilly. Please note the placket! My first placket attempt and it went okay, but I know next time I will interface the silk and it will look even sharper. I have tiny little green buttons that would be perfect on the placket, but alas, buttonholes were impossible on my non-interfaced silk. I guess I didn’t think that through totally before I assembled it. Live and learn. But I like this pattern and I think I’ll make it again with some other scraps have saved carefully like hoarder. No, not a hoarder, I was thinking ahead to this very day when I would have the perfect pattern to use them up with and create a whole wardrobe of darling summer tops. That is the story I am going with!