Wow, was this a quick and adorable top! Disclaimer, I am officially the world’s slowest sewer. I hesitate, I unpick, I pin obsessively…I just generally take a long-ass time, but this shirt was a breeze! A single evening of sewing and I wore it the very next day. Like magic! Continue reading
This top ended up being a pretty easy make. So easy, in fact, that I constructed most of it while I was tipsy! Considering that fact, I think it is a win that all my seams match up at the center front!
This fabric is an unique, lightweight cotton with a nubbly texture and a bit of reflective sheen that unfortunately didn’t show up great in the pictures. It is neat stuff, and easy to work with — it didn’t slide around while sewing and it pressed out well. I wanted some sort of directional print to emphasize the interesting triangular pieces in front. The fabric choice did that briliantly. Continue reading
The letter “K” really filled a whole in my daughter’s wardrobe. She only wears dresses and skirts, but it is cold and dark so much of the time here in Seattle (hence the name of this blog) so she needs another layer. Well, sweatshirts are not acceptable to her fancy-style tastes. I have bought them, and she has poo-poo’d them. But cardigans are just fancy enough. Phew! Continue reading
I made this chiffon number a couple of years ago, before I learned about the wealth of sewing knowledge available on sewing blogs from around the world. I didn’t know how to finish my chiffon seam allowances. And I didn’t know how to handle the slippery chiffon, making this a miracle that it even came together! I was just getting used to my rolled hem foot and that tiny rolled hem foot is tricky to master on any kind of material, but especially slippery, ravelly chiffon. Continue reading
This skirt is a baby blue herringbone tweed that I made much more feminine by making it into a circle skirt- except I miscalculated and didn’t buy enough yardage for a full circle skirt. I was designing this skirt in my head after I found the fabric and I didn’t have time to think it through correctly when my number was called at the cutting counter. I would not be able to compete under the pressure of Project Runway, that’s for sure! When they show the scenes at Mood where they are rushing around looking for fabric I start sweating for them. Sheesh.
So it is half a circle and another wedge I eeked out of the fabric I had. It still has the twirly effect I was going for. I added piping in between each panel- I mean, why not? The piping is made from a sheet I cut into bias strips and made myself.
The Swiss dot cotton shirt is a simple raglan sleeve peasant blouse, for which there are a million patterns. I think mine was actually a costume pattern! I just gathered the neck and armholes, but I wasn’t happy with that. It hung very triangularly off my skinny girl’s shoulders. So I added elastic gathers to the sides at the hemline, just 4 inches per side, and that changed the shape enough but didn’t turn the top into a big bubble. That wouldn’t have looked right with the skirt.
I couldn’t resist adding a little decorative stitch to the neckline of that plain white blouse. My Brother machine has a million of those stitches and I can never think of any uses for them!
And, of course, a giant polka dot bow. It is quilting cotton so it will hold its shape. And it is removable for washings! The cotton would wrinkle like the devil if I put that bow in the wash, so I just safety-pinned it on. Easy Peasy. I did that with the flowers on her Mod Piped Dress, too.