What compelled me to make this dress?
I am obsessed with this gathered shoulder detail. I have acquired several patterns that incorporate it. Then I was whipped into a further frenzy by this post by Paunnet. I actually made this dress almost 2 months ago and have been wearing the heck out of it.
I grabbed this fabric from Fabric.com without a moment’s hesitation. It is cotton lawn, perfect for a summer dress (but a bit sheer). I have seen this fabric used by another blogger since I purchased it, so I know I am not the only one who thought ”Mine!” when they spied it.
The pattern is McCall’s 6711. It also has a cute skirt AND blazer included so I think this is a very worthwhile pattern.
The yoke is self-lined, but I didn’t have enough to self-line the front bodice and I certainly didn’t want to have to wear a cami under it. So, in the middle of the project and desperate to move forward, I lined it with a nice quilting cotton that matched pretty well. Ruinous choice! The cotton has more body than the lawn and it seriously hindered the blousy effect of the bodice. I should have used lining fabric for the lining! Duh! I didn’t line the back bodice and it hangs nicely.
What I learned
- Consider how the lining will affect the drape of the piece.
- Take care to eliminate bulk around the waist. It will make it more flattering and therefore more comfortable to wear.
- Pin the bodice pieces carefully and accurately to see if the neckline lies in the right place.